the Straits of Mackinac Mighty
|The first light at Cheboygan Point
was built in 1851. There was a dwelling and a separate 40' round brick
tower, which was fitted with a Fifth Order Fresnel lens made by L. Saultier
& Company of Paris. The light was built on a pier and after only eight
years of service, high water was washing away at the foundation and the
light tower was removed.
In 1859 the station was rebuilt as an eight foot square
wooden tower resting atop a two story eight room dwelling. The new tower
rose 22 feet above the house and included the same white light which was
used in the earlier tower.
In May of 1890, a standard locomotive steam fog signal
was installed in a separate building.
When the nearby Fourteen Foot Shoal Light was constructed
offshore in 1930, the old Cheboygan Light Station was abandoned and the
land was deeded to the State of Michigan. Following vandalism, the buildings
were dismantled in the 1940s. Today the Cheboygan Point Light ruins
are part of the 1250 acre Cheboygan State Park.
Straits of Mackinac lighthouses
McGulpin Point Light
Today the ruins of the Cheboygan Point Light are overgrown and hidden
from the Lake Huron shore
USCG Cutter Mackinaw (WLBB 30) in the distance and the automated 14'
Shoal Light (1930) as seen from the shore at Cheboygan Point Light
Poe Reef Light (1929, automated in 1974) in the distance
Cheboygan Point Light Map
Copyright 2006-2011 by Keith